First Nations Engagement
Timmins Martelle Heritage Consultants Inc. (TMHC) works to establish, maintain and reinforce partnerships with First Nations in Ontario on a variety of issues, including:
- the development of websites and other teaching resources to promote cultural awareness
- developing protocols for archaeological investigations within traditional territories
- repatriation of human burials, sacred objects and artifact collections
- establishing artifact repositories
- negotiations with government concerning cultural heritage sites on First Nations lands
- investigation of archaeological sites that contribute to an understanding of First Nations history
- training First Nations community members in archaeological field, lab and curation methods
- and collecting and preserving oral history and traditional knowledge.
When working on behalf of their development clients, TMHC meets and then strives to exceed government-mandated First Nations engagement.